Nov 4, 2011

The Good, The Bad, And The SAY WHAT!?!?!

Posted by with 1 comment
Last week Eric and I went to do the Healthy Utah screenings. Because Eric works for the state we get these screenings for free. This screening basically just tells you how healthy or unhealthy you are.

Eric, of course passed with flying colors. Although for him to be in the ideal range for a man of his height and age, he needs to GAIN 7lbs. He just laughed at me when I told him that. RUDE!

As for me...Oh boy! Here's where the good, the bad and the say what come in...

THE GOOD:


I went to the stupid screening!
My total cholesterol is DESIRABLE/GOOD FOR ME
My systolic blood pressure is NORMAL/GOOD FOR ME
My diastolic blood pressure is NORMAL/GOOD FOR ME
My fasting Glucose was GOOD FOR ME
I get $50 just for going to the screening

THE BAD:
(Which I pretty much knew all this anyway)

My Body Mass Index means that I'm OVERWEIGHT
My Body Composition isn't even markable on the paper, which means it must be bad as the only other options are DESIRABLE/GOOD FOR ME and AVERAGE...
My Waist circumference is HIGH, but only 2 inches away from being DESIRABLE/GOOD FOR ME

THE SAY WHAT!?!?!?

My HDL Cholesterol (the good kind) is LOW!!!! Like really low. The level they really want you at is 51-60 mg/dL, I'm at at 35 mg/dL. I was shocked....I also didn't know how to up the good cholesterol, so I'm glad the girl gave me some tips.

You can up your HDL cholesterol by doing Cardio and by eating a few foods. As she started naming foods I was getting worried. Everything she named I didn't care for. She named fish, avocados, olive oil, canola oil then finally she said nuts!

YAY, I can totally eat nuts. I like nuts. She said that raw almonds were the best - which was awesome because almonds are probably my favorite nut. So now I get to snack on almonds and Eric can't complain that I spend the money for them. LOL!



All in all I'm actually glad I went. They also measured how many calories you burn at rest. Which means I know how many calories to eat in a day to lose weight. Plus I have another $50 coming to me if I can get everything in the GOOD FOR YOU range within a year. Nothing like a little monetary incentive to keep you going, right?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I need to find a screening like that here! Just for the information ... now I'm curious as to what my results would be ... especially my cholesterol. I guess I could just have the doctor run some blood tests, but why PAY them to do that when I could go to a screening like that and have them pay me???

    I hope you're able to get your extra $50 next year. Keep us all updated on your progress!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...