Nov 1, 2008

Happy Halloween

Posted by with 1 comment
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I like to say that I am basically happy from October to Mid January because all my fave holidays are in that time frame.

It's one of those things I can't explain why I enjoy it so much, especially since my mother hates it. Go figure...

I was getting excited to see all the cute kids in their costumes as Thursday I got a sneak peek with the Preschool kids and then that night at the Halloween carnival.

So around noon on Friday, the little boys and I head to the school for the Halloween Parade. We had to wait for a bit before the parade started, so I took a picture of my boys.


We waited and waited and waited...Finally the parade started and we waited for Tanis & Shaylyn to come through. I wasn't seeing either kid and then I heard a familiar voice call, "Mom!" I looked and saw Tanis just as his class was leaving - I have no idea how I missed him.

We waited some more to see Shaylyn and she just never came through. The parade was over and I didn't see Shaylyn's class at all! So I went down the hall and pulled her out of her class for a moment to get a picture. I then went down to Tanis' class and did the same with him.

I am going to go off on a tangent here, so if you don't feel like reading this part - feel free to skip to the next paragraph or two...

Friday morning, while I was still lying in bed and the kids were getting up I heard Shaylyn crying and saying something to the effect of she wasn't going to be able to be in the parade. I wasn't sure I heard her right and just shook it off. Then before she left for school she told me her teacher said they weren't going to be doing the parade because two boys in her class don't celebrate Halloween. I thought for sure she misunderstood her teacher and sent her off to school.

Now you know the story that she DIDN'T participate in the parade and Eric and I are ticked. We are tempted to file a complaint (sounds so formal) at the school because of it. I haven't done so yet partly because I am scared and partly because I am not sure if Shaylyn's was the only class to not participate...I am somewhat sure the older kids don't participate, but kids Shaylyn's age just don't understand. I also don't want to cause a situation with the teacher if she thought what she was doing was best.

But why should my daughter have to feel like she is being punished because of someone else's beliefs. But in a situation like this where most of the students do celebrate Halloween, something else needed to be done. Don't misunderstand me - I totally think those people have the right to believe what they will, but it should not handicap the rest of the world.

The parents could have kept those children home, or someone could have sat with the kids while the rest of the class participated. I just don't think it's fair that because my daughter got the crumb luck to be in a class with those students, she wasn't able to participate in something. Guess maybe I am just a bit overprotective or something.

Anyway, after the kids got home from school, we straightened up the house, had dinner and got all decked out to go trick-or-treating.


Eric had to work this year so I had to get all 4 kids ready and out the door. I forgot to light the pumpkins and decided against sticking the candy outside the door. I wanted to have some when we got home.

I so misjudged that. We have so much candy now, it's ridiculous. So any of you in the ward who's kids missed our house, send 'em on over.

We had a good night and I was glad that it was such a nice night (even with the rain). Nathaniel did great and decided to take a nap the whole time the other kids wanted to trick or treat. They lasted about 2 hours and they were done.

As soon as Lex walked in the door he dumped his candy out, this did not fly. We put it all back in his bag and I told him he could choose 3 pieces and then it was up and out of the way for the night. Shaylyn also had her candy dumped out, but she was counting hers! I think the total she came up with was 106 or something. I had to laugh that she was counting the candy.

All in all it was a good night, and when I went to bed - I fell asleep fast!

1 comment:

  1. You know, there was one girl in Malia's class last year that was a Jehovah's Witness, so didn't celebrate any of the holidays...her parents always just kept her home when they didn't want her participating. IMO if they don't want their kids to participate, leave them home, or ask the school to let them have library time or something like that during the Halloween parade.
    But then again I believe that while everyone's views should be respected, the opinions of one or two should not dictate what everyone else gets to do. Call me crazy.
    I really think you should mention it to the school!

    Cute kiddos btw! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...