Jul 7, 2008

Just A Thought....

Posted by with 2 comments
So while we were on our vacation last week (more detailed info to come) my in-laws and I took the kids to a park. While we were there I observed 3 very different ways of parenting and it got me to thinking, what kind of parent are you?

#1 - The type of parent who gives your children so much "freedom" that you sit in the car while your kids are playing at the park? The type of parent who has very few fears for their child and trusts them to always do what's "right"?

#2 - The type of parent who gives your children "freedom" but not so much that you sit in the car. You sit out at the park with them...This is where I fall in. I have some fears for my children, but I know that you can't hold their hands with every little thing they do...

#3 - The type of parent who literally follows the kid everywhere he goes. Making sure that nothing will happen to him. Leaving him with very little "freedom" and him not learning that life sometimes has bumps and challenges...

I just found it interesting. I really saw a parent sit in the vehicle the whole time they were there, while the boys played. Another mother was following behind her child everywhere he went. As for me, I sat by the side and watched.

I just sometimes wonder if I am doing enough, or not enough...

2 comments:

  1. You sound a lot like me with your parenting...Although, I will reluctantly admit that when I had my oldest, I was there right beside her every second wherever we went. I've since learned that I can still be a good parent from a park bench while she's climbing up the stairs to go on the twirly slide! :) It's amazing what you learn as you have each child. I wish I would have been a little more relaxed with my oldest -- maybe she wouldn't be so stubborn? I'll never know, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about the parent who allows the child freedom, but watches intently (even being closer to the child than you would be) to make sure their child isn't inflicting pain on another child, or finding some way to take the whole park apart? That's me, with my Andrew.
    And, sometimes, I'm the parent who is following their child around ... but only because we're playing tag. That's me and Jon, with our older girls and their friends.
    But, usually, when I take my children to our park, I let them run around and do whatever they want ... just keep an eye on Andrew to make sure he hasn't taken off because he's done (which he tends to do no matter where we are) ... and push Adam in the swing because he only enjoys the swing.
    Maybe that's too much info ....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...