Sep 28, 2010

What's In Your Milk?

Posted by with 5 comments
Since the day she was born Ailey's been fed on Similac. She ate great and never really had a problem. She would spit up here and there and that was expected.

About a month ago she started spewing. Like an hour after she ate what seemed like almost half of what she ate would come back up in spurts. I wasn't too terribly worried about it, because she was still a happy baby and didn't fuss, but I still made a mental note to mention it to the dr. at her upcoming appt.

When I mentioned it to the dr. he didn't seem too worried either. He said she might keep things down better after she gets going on cereal, perhaps I could feed her less. He said she was growing well so I had room to 'play' around.

I knew changing how much she ate was a bad idea cause she'd act hungry an hour after eating, so I didn't do that. I didn't see much of a change after starting the cereal either. So because the dr. wasn't concerned neither was I until last Thursday.

I get am IM from my little sis asking what formula Ailey was on and if it was part of the recall. Recall? What recall? So, I looked into it.

...From Similac's website...

"Abbott is initiating a proactive, voluntary recall of certain Similac-brand, powder infant formulas in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Guam and some countries in the Caribbean.

Abbott is recalling these products following an internal quality review, which detected the remote possibility of the presence of a small common beetle in the product produced in one production area in a single manufacturing facility. The United States Food and Drug Adminstration (FDA) has determined that while the formula containing these beetles poses no immediate health risk, there is a possibility that infants who consume formula containing the beetles or their larvae, could experience symptoms of gastrointestinal discomfort and refusal to eat as a result of small insect parts irritating the GI tract. If these symptoms persist for more than a few days, a physician should be consulted. "
...........

After reading that I try to get on the website to check the recalled lot numbers, but the website is so hammered with traffic it won't come up. So Eric suggests I call. The first time I call the system hangs up on me. I try again and after a very short wait (seriously) I get a person. I ask for the recall numbers and he asks me for the lot numbers on my containers (I had 2).

Container #1 (the main container) WAS recalled. Container #2 (the 'travel' container) was NOT. Well luckily container #2 had enough in it to get us through the day. Eric was getting a new one on his way home.

Eric calls me from the store and said that Similac wasn't even on the shelves anymore. That was fine with me, I was leery of using Similac again. I told him to grab a thing of Enfamil.

Well Ailey seemed less spitty on this unrecalled can of Similac and I was getting hopeful. When the Similac ran out and I gave her the Enfamil, she adjusted just fine. I thought all was well and things were getting better. Not so!



Ailey is spitting up so much now and all day long! Yesterday she went through 3 changes of clothes. Now, I am not one to change an oufit after a tiny bit of spit up here and there, so for her to go through 3 outfits is a major deal. I was puked on all day long and never changed cause it was pointless.

So I am stuck with a dilemma...

Is there still contaminated formula parts left in her tummy? Is her body just not as accepting of Enfamil as it was Similac? Or is she just downright sick?

I really don't know. I'm kicking myself for not nursing. I didn't nurse out of pure selfish reasons. I hate that. I told Eric that at least I would've known what she was getting. When Eric said, 'Not necessarily.' But I would think that if I ate something slightly contaminated, my system would attack it before my daughter got it. But I don't know how all that works.

Le sigh....


post signature

5 comments:

  1. http://wendyssoapbox.blogspot.com/2009/06/ocd-conundrum.html

    go to my blog to read about spider legs in candy bars. the truth is you have no idea what type of things can really be found in prepackaged food. and usually a recall will include even more than what could have been possibly contaminated, so hopefully you are ok!

    I breastfed because I was selfish. It was just easier! LOL! But I must say I still know how you feel about "wishing you did at a time like this" because shortly after my baby weaned he got really sick and I knew it would have been something safe to feed him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shiloh! That is SO frustrating. I hate stuff like that. With Karson I tried to nurse, but my body wouldn't allow it and I had no milk after 6 weeks. I put him on enfamil and he threw it up constantly so i switched to SOY enfamil and he did MUCH better on that. I was then of coure worried that he would be lactose intolerant, but at age 1 when we switched him to whole milk he was perfectly fine. Now of course since he doesn't take a bottle anymore, he refuses to drink any kind of milk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always had spit-up babies. But they've all had reflux. Kate was so bad we had to give her some reglan 15 minutes before she ate and then some kind of acid reducer. She eventually grew out of it. But since then we've always, always, always put our babies in their infant carrier to sleep. Being in a more reclined position instead of lying flat helped my babies to keep everything down. We even fed Eliza (she was the only one bottlefed) in a semi-sitting position and that helped.

    So sorry you have to deal with this! I know how gross it is. We use to put a burp rag on the floor and then burp Andrew in a sitting position on our knees so his spit up would land on the burp rag on he floor instead of my shoulder. *sigh* The joys of motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally feel your pain! My kids have all be huge spit-uppers until Naomi and it's awful! With Naomi we found (and I don't remember which is which so you 'll have to look at the labels), but one of them has a little soy in the ingredients list. We were using the other-just the samples they send you in the mail and then switched and she started spitting up, etc. Anyway we found out it was the small amount of soy in the one. Thankfully, now we just buy it from costco and thankfully theirs doesn't have soy in it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you had to experience that. Erin had just given me five cans of free similac formula she'd received and then told me to throw them away and then she told me why. She felt horrible, but luckily I wasn't one of the many like you that have given your baby similac from the beginning, I'm sorry that happened to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...