Nov 29, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Posted by with No comments
I was more than a little surprised when I didn't get woken up at the crack of dawn to start prepping Thanksgiving dinner. I was able to sleep in a bit and it was about 10 or so before Eric's mom decided it was time to prep the turkey.

I was all set to get down to business and thought it would take a lot longer than it did. I was honestly surprised at how little work actually goes into prepping a turkey. I was always afraid of doing it, but I don't know just what I was afraid of.

We got the turkey in the oven and then set about cleaning up breakfast and the turkey prep. After a little while we decided it was time to peel the potatoes. This was perhaps the most fun I had all day. I had peeled a number of potatoes when Eric's mom decided I was making her too nervous with the way I was cutting the potatoes and she 'kicked' me out of the kitchen. It was okay because dinner was going to start in a couple hours and I hadn't even showered yet.

Eric had taken the girls with him to run back home to check on the dog. He got back to Mom's just before everyone else did, so I didn't get a chance to really do the girls hair. I found the perfect little onesie for Jace and loved the response from Eric's mom. She said it was probably true for Eric, but it wouldn't be true for Grandpa.



Thanksgiving 'dinner' was delicious, but we really missed Eric's dad. It was one of the holidays where he really took charge and always said the most heart-felt prayers. It was odd to not have a football game on during the meal and only afterwards. I didn't use my camera to take any pictures, but Eric's mom had hers readily available and Eric's cousin, Kristen and I borrowed it to take a few pictures.



Shaylyn and Lex tried their best to break the wish bone. We didn't tell them until later that the bone had to dry out for a few hours first. HAHAHA!







While the ladies cleaned up, Eric's uncle's cousin (Yup, I'm really using a phrase like that), who was visiting from Wisconsin - took the kids out to play football. Grandpa would've been so proud to see how quickly Ailey took to football. She said she had lots of fun playing it and then wouldn't let go of the ball.




I didn't really want to leave, but I needed to go spend some time with my family. Eric felt strongly that he should stay with his family. I agreed and because Jace was asleep, I left him with Eric. I then took the other kids over to my parents. 

We had lots of fun playing games and visiting and eating way too much junk. I don't get to my parents very often, so I don't get to spend a lot of time with my little brother. It was a good time to spend with him and get to know his girlfriend a little better.

I left my parents around 11 and headed back to Eric's moms. We were all ready for bed by that time and the kids went to sleep without fighting.

We had decided to spend the next few days with Eric's mom for a couple reasons. The number one reason was that during food prep, a drawer broke. Eric's mom was just going to hire someone to fix it, but I knew it was something Eric could do for her and they could work on it the next day. The other reason was that Eric had planned to have a day-long game day with his friends, at his mom's (in her basement) on his birthday, the 30th. We figured it'd be cheaper to just stay the weekend instead of going back and forth. It also meant we didn't have to drive home at midnight or later Thanksgiving night.

0 People Had Something To Add:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...