Sep 30, 2008

Apologies...

Posted by with 4 comments
Sorry I've been MIA...Nothing of real value or note has really happened around here, so there wasn't much to say.

I will say that lately I have been feeling really guilty about my privacy post. It's not anything anyone did, but since I had posted my feelings and said some things, lessons in Relief Society and comments people have made to me have made me feel very guilty. Not the guilt that drives you to depression or anything, just the kind where you wish you could take back what you said...

Anyway, last Saturday was a fun day for me.

Around 9:00 a.m. Eric's friends dropped their daughters off for us to babysit. These girls are so calm and mellow that if Shaylyn was like either of them, I would be okay having another girl. Around 11:30 or so Eric takes all the boys with him to the store and leaves me with the girls. This was kind of my plan as I am trying to get our basement "tornado zone" organized once again. This is a difficult task to handle during the week days as Nathaniel only takes cat naps and there isn't anywhere downstairs for me to put him and still keep an eye on him. So I am left doing it when Eric is around.

But since Eric took the baby, I was able to go down and make a small dent in the mess while Shaylyn and the little girls watched a movie on the clean side of the basement. And yes I was in a position where I could hear what was going on.

Eric arrived home around 1:30/2:00 and I was surprised by what he brought home for me.

Eric knows how much I love Halloween and carving pumpkins has always been a tradition in my home and one I am trying to create here. Usually though, we've done a medium sized one for each of the kids. Since Eric purchased a huge one and four small ones, I am looking forward to seeing what we come up with.

When Eric got home we had some lunch and I fed the baby. My plan was to go back downstairs and get some more done, but before I knew it it was 3:00 and Tanis had a birthday party to get to and I had to get cleaned up for General Women's Conference.

I was to meet up with my mom & little sister at 5:00, after picking up my sister in law. It takes about 40 minutes or so to get to my sister in laws and so I figured I needed to be out the door by about 4:00. I was getting a bit anxious that Eric would be watching 6 little kids by himself when I left, but the little girls parents came around 3:45 or so.

I left around 4:00 and picked up my sister in law and we headed to Ab's. (It is a hamburger place for those of you not familiar with it. There are only 2 restaurants - one in West Jordan and one in West Valley. It was started by my Grandmother's Cousin - AB - and when he got too old to run things anymore he left it to one of his sons, who has since built up 2 restaurants) Anyway, the food was good and we had fun visiting.

After dinner we headed to my sister in laws stakehouse for the meeting. We arrived a little bit late and had seats clear in the back of the overflow. I have NEVER seen a stakehouse so full for Women's Conference. While the talks from the Relief Society General Presidency were good, I really enjoyed President Uchtdorf's talks. It was one of those times where you feel the talk was directed at you personally.

Even before President Uchtdorf was called to be in the presidency of the church I took a liking to him. I don't know why, I just did. Anyway this talk from the beginning just helped me so much. I wish I could find his whole talk, but haven't been able to. I was able to come across a newspaper article that did mention some of the things I took to heart from his talk:

* "Our splendid sisters sometimes undervalue their abilities — they focus on what is lacking or imperfect rather than what has been accomplished and who they really are." (At these words my mom patted me on the back...)

* Serving others opens the windows of heaven. "As we lift others, we rise a little higher ourselves." He shared a piece of advice that the late President Gordon B. Hinckley had for a woman recently widowed after his own wife had died. "Work will cure your grief. Serve others."

* The number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance.

He also mentioned something about not letting fear and fear of critizism (even if it's from yourself) hold you back...I wish I could find exactly how he said this, but oh well. Guess I'll have to wait until November's Ensign comes out.

Overall, I enjoyed his talk from beginning to end and it really hit me like a ton of bricks with all the issues I've been having and have mentioned here. I felt so lifted up after the meeting and made a vow to change the way I am perceiving things.

After the conference we headed to Leatherby's for some yummy ice cream. I always end up getting the same thing, but it's good, so I stick with it. And once again my little sis ordered the same thing. I told you we are a lot a like.

I always enjoy Womens Conference and the extra time I get to spend with my mom and sisters. I am thankful that my mom started this tradition years ago and I am even more thankful that I've always been able to go.

Thanks again Eric, Mom, Kaeloni & Adri for a wonderful night!

4 comments:

  1. Elder Uchdorf's talk was my favorite as well. He spoke with so much passion -- I felt like he was looking only at me and telling me this in confidence. I was riveted. I especially loved how reminded us that we are born with creativity because our Heavenly Father is a creator. I just loved that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't make it to Women's Conference, the day didn't pan out, now I wish I would have gone.Oh well. I love Leatherby's too! What do you get there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED Elder Uchtdorf's talk too! I was convinced Justin called him before conference to let him know exactly what I needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree ... Pres. Uchtdorf's talk was the best! I loved the contrast between the RS President standing up and saying something like, "You're doing great, but it's not enough. There's still more for you to do." And, then Pres. Uchtdorf stands up and says, "You undervaluea your abilities and focus on what is lacking." It was a major pep talk, and I LOVED every minute of it. I remember one year thinking that the presidency just let a huge heavy load on my shoulder and I hated that conference. This time I was buoyed up and ready to do better! It was freakin' awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...