Oct 9, 2007

New Favorites!

Posted by with No comments
I've gotta admit, I love when I get pictures from my Mother-in-Law. She ALWAYS has tons of pictures that I didn't even know she took! Lots of them are very special ones too. Anyway, she thought she had given me the pictures she took at Shaylyn's birthday party in January, but she never had.
So a couple weeks ago, we were trying to figure out which pictures I had and which ones I didn't. There were other pictures taken in January as well and some from April, but my favorite one from all that she just gave me is the one above. It is a picture of my dad and Eric's dad. I think it is just an awesome picture to have! Now, I've gotta get a picture of my mom and Eric's mom together! It is on my to-do list.
For school, Tanis & Shaylyn each have to read or be read to for a certain amount of time each night. For awhile we were reading Harry Potter - and we will go back to it, but Tanis ran across a book of poems by Shel Silverstein called "A Light in the Attic." Tanis wanted me to read this book of poems to him, so for the past few nights we've been reading them.
Two nights ago I ran across 2 poems I just absolutely loved! The first one I thought would be perfect to use on a scrapbook page of a kid just hanging out in the summer sun. The second one just really made me think of how the world treats people. Here you go...

TIRED
I've been working so hard you just wouldn't believe,
And I'm tired!
There's so little time and so much to achieve,
And I'm tired!
I've been lying here holding the gras in its place,
Pressing a leaf with the side of my face,
Tasting the apples to see if they're sweet,
Counting the toes on a centipede's feet.
I've been memorizing the shape of that cloud,
Warning the robins to not chirp so loud,
Shooing the butterflies off the tomatoes,
Keeping an eye out for floods and tornadoes.
I've been supervising the work of the ants
And thinking of pruning the cantaloupe plants,
Timing the sun to see what time it sets,
Callint the fish to swim into my nets,
And I've taken twelve thousand and forty-one breaths,
And I'm TIRED!

- Shel Silverstein



THE LITTLE BOY AND THE OLD MAN
Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the little old man, "I do that too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
"I do that too," laughed the little old man.
Said the little boy, "I often cry."
The old man nodded, "So do I."
"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
"I know what you mean," said the little old man.

- Shel Silverstein



I have always loved this book and every couple of years when I read it again, I find new poems that I fall in love with.
We also got the kids' fall pictures back, but I have to wait until tomorrow to post them because our scanner/printer is broken and Eric left our camera at his parents house. So tonight when I head to the doctor, we will stop by and get the camera and I will then take a picture of each of the kids' pictures and post them.
Hope everyone is doing well.

0 People Had Something To Add:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...