May 30, 2013

Indian Princess

Posted by with No comments
Once again we have a 5th grader in our home. That means the Wax Museum. When Shaylyn got the note that it was happening soon and was told to choose a character and stuff, she wanted me to return the note ASAP. There would only be 1 famous person allowed per class and she really wanted to be Pocahontas. When I asked her why she chose Pocahontas she said it was because Pocahontas was her favorite heroine. I was shocked! Big fancy, schmancy words and she was dead set on it. I thought it'd be an easy enough costume to come up with and was all for her being Pocahontas.

Well the days went by and I remembered about a week and half before it was happening that it was happening. I was at my Mom's and asked if she might be able to help us out and make a costume. She went right to work on finding a pattern and left me a message letting me know. The next day we ran to pick up my phone that I left at her house and she showed me the pattern and told me how much fabric we'd need.

A few days later I returned to her house with fabric in hand and 2 days later she brought the costume back to us and it was PERFECT! I don't sew well, but I figured I could take care of a head band and waist band easy enough. It worked together well.

I'd love to say that Shaylyn read her biography and did it all well ahead of time, but no. The book she found at the library wasn't a biography and so I made her Google information and write her report from that. I don't know that the report went together well, but she did it all on her own. I helped out with the poster and one tidbit of information I found out while Googling a picture for Pocahontas: after she was converted to Christianity in England, she changed her name to Rebecca.

Anyway, on May 23, the little kids and I headed over to the school to take a look at our Pocahontas. I wasn't feeling well so we made it short and sweet, but it was nice to see Shaylyn in the setting of the wax museum. (Although the wax museums are always loud.... hahaha)





0 People Had Something To Add:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...