Jul 22, 2013

Fresh, Mountain Air

Posted by with No comments
::WARNING - WORD AND PICTURE HEAVY POST::

One of the memories of summer that stands out in my mind when I was a kid was going camping each year. I am getting older now and I may not remember things exactly as well as I should, but we went often. I'm sure there's years we stayed home for various reasons, but overall I remember going a lot. I even remember one time my Dad took some of us kids by himself! What a brave or crazy man.

Well this kept up for years until life started getting in the way and people got busy and it just didn't become a priority anymore. I remember going when I was pregnant with Tanis and the year after that, but I think after that time we didn't go for awhile. Then my mom decided it was time to get back to doing it yearly and we have, for the the most part.

This year neither Eric nor I were keen on doing the camping like we usually do - in a tent, sleeping on the ground and peeing in large holes. I usually love camping and don't mind the sleeping on the ground and peeing in a large hole, but being as pregnant as I am - it just didn't sound that exciting. Not to mention my mind thinks of horrible things when I have to get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, alone.

So it just didn't seem like it was going to happen this year, at least for us. My older sister couldn't get time off of work until mid-July and that was way too close for me to feel comfortable going CAMPING. After a few days we get an email from my older sister saying that her hubby's family has a cabin that we could possibly use if we wanted to. After an affirmative reply from most in the family, my wonderful new brother-in-law got in touch with whomever he needed to and we had a cabin to stay in the weekend of July 11 - 14.

Eric and I were still a little bit anxious about going to the cabin, but only because it was 2 1/2 hours from home (and we were going through Wyoming) and if I went into labor, life would be kind of scary. By the Sunday before I still didn't know if we were going to go or not. I kept having contractions and just couldn't feel good one way or the other. By Tuesday, I had decided we'd take the chance and go.

So on Thursday night, the 11th we were loaded up and headed to by older sisters by 5:00. It was kind of nice to leave a bit later in the afternoon, but it also made for a super long day for the kids just waiting around.

We got to my sister's around 6 and waited for my little sister to arrive. (My parents were already there)
We were finally ready to leave by 7. We decided we'd all meet up at the Walmart in Evanston. This was because my little sisters family had already had dinner, so they were rearing to go - and my parents, older sister and my family hadn't eaten. Our little family stopped at an Arby's, while my older sister and parents stopped at a McDonald's down the road. After getting our food, we met up again and we followed my older sister and parents the rest of the way.

We got to the Walmart in Evanston and my older sister drove us around the parking lot. We were looking for my little sister, but we also caught the eye of a cop. I texted my sister that we had to stop because at least one of us (me) had to use the restroom. The cop glared at us as we got out of the car and just watched us walk into the star. He was still there when we came out, but only stood and watched for a few more seconds. We were then back on the road to the cabin.

Supposedly the cabin was only 20 miles from the Walmart, but it seemed like it took forever to get there. It was raining lightly and it was dark. I was tired and it just seemed like a long trip. We get to the cabin and after my brother in law, Cody helped my Dad & sister get lights and plumbing working, we started unpacking.

I felt mostly helpless cause there wasn't a whole lot I could help unpack. Thankfully, Eric got the kids involved and we got our stuff where it needed to be. The cabin was small, but had like 6 beds and a bunk-bed. Our family took one of the rooms with 4 beds in it, my little sisters family took the 'room' right by us, my parents took the room in the basement and my wonderful older sister sacrificed herself and put a cot up in the hallway.

I think we had most things settled by about 10 and then most of us headed to bed. Shaylyn had found a VHS of Anne of Green Gables and insisted on watching that. Eric was ready to play some games and so he stayed up for a bit with my Dad and Cody - but the rest of the kids and I went to bed.

I had a hard time falling asleep (even with my Ambien) and woke up with a major headache that I had the majority of the next day.

Because of the rain the night before and some little drizzles in the early morning, it was quite damp outside when we all woke up. That didn't stop the kids from going outside as soon as it stopped, though. But because they were out before it was all dry, they came in with muddy pants and socks. We were thankful for a washer and dryer so we could wash the clothes out asap, but it meant the kiddos were in pj bottoms which didn't really match their clothes. And because it started raining again, it meant all 8 kids were inside and had to find things to do...



...I honestly hope they stay this close their whole lives...

...Endless ball of energy...




...I had no idea what these boys were doing, but my little sister said they were playing Avengers, I'm glad she knows what was going on...



...Wish this chick lived and worked at my house...

Eric spent most of his time playing games. Along with my Dad and Cody. My older sister joined in occasionally as did my older kids.



The rain finally stopped, and the sun came out and none too soon, either. The kids went outside and there was a ton to do out there.














...Shaylyn was such a trooper and would do Under-Dog for Ailey anytime she asked. Poor Shaylyn got tired of doing it though...



My brother in laws relative that 'runs' the cabin, gave us a list of projects that could be done if we had the time. My older sister really wanted it to look like we did something, so we went to work. First item of business was to take down a 'teepee' thing that had got a firepit thing put underneath it. No one wanted an accidental fire started...Lex was insistent on helping.





Another project was to rebuild the 'fort' that was there. Shaylyn took this job on herself...and had a few helpers.



My sister then decided it be nice to gather and stack some firewood for the outdoor pit, which was a perfect job for the kids to do.








For another project that I can't remember now, the big boys got to play with some big toys and they were like kids in a candy store...







Because I wasn't feeling real well, and I have a big ol' belly that doesn't allow me to do much, I got babysitting duty for as long as cute little Ry Guy let me hold him. (Which ended up being the longest amount of time the whole trip he let me hold him)


Lex helped grandpa 'weed' the sandbox while Kaeloni supervised...


The big boys decided another project they could do would be to make sure the horseshoe ringer things were snug in the ground, as they weren't to begin with...


And then of course, they HAD to make sure their work was done sufficiently...



We then had had enough sun and work and went back in where it was cool and started getting dinner ready. Sadly, my little girls took a way late nap, which would come to haunt me later that night...


That night we decided to make use of the kids' work and had a campfire. Sadly, no one thought to bring S'more stuff so we just sat around. I wanted to sit longer, but because Ailey woke up like 30 minutes before we went out, all she wanted was to go back inside. Eric offered to take her and go to bed, but she only wanted me. So, I left the campfire and all the kids followed. All, but Shaylyn. Eric, the majority of the kids and I fell asleep. Shaylyn hung out with Grandma and uncle Cody for a couple more hours before she came to bed.









The next day I woke up feeling much better and the day looked to be a promising day. Eric and Cody started to get bored, so I suggested they run to Walmart and get a game to play that didn't take brain energy and stuff for S'mores, so we could have them that night.

About 30 minutes after the guys left, the rain really started coming down. I was an optimist and prayed it would stop, but it ended up being a dreary kind of day. It felt nice outside though, so we did go out and sit for a bit. Cousin Makayla was so nice and let Ailey use her bubbles. I'm glad someone's mom thought to bring some other sorts of entertainment...





...Makayla found an awesome seat on aunt Kami's cot...



...I wish I still enjoyed life this much...

While we had periods of no rain, for the most part it rained all that day and it really came down. It was even coming down at night when we would've loved to have had a fire, so it ended up that the trip to the store for S'more stuff was in vain. 

It was also a bad night for me. It got really stuffy and hot in the cabin and I started feeling really sick. Eric even made the comment that I looked unhealthily flushed. He was really quite concerned about me and I wasn't sure what was wrong either. Thankfully after an hour or so it was gone and I felt fine again. I headed to bed somewhat early again, while Eric stayed up with Cody and my little brother who had arrived earlier in the afternoon. I'm told they were up until 3.

The next morning, with permission, we held our own Sacrament Meeting. My little nephew gave an awesome talk and it just so happened went along with the talk my Mom gave after. Eric then said a few words, unplanned and after we ended the meeting - my sister had planned for each of the kids to make their own Title Of Liberty. They were thrilled and I think entertained for a good half hour.

With the exception of my older sister, no one was in a big hurry to get home - so we hung out some more. While the big boys played games, yet again, and the little boys were being boys - my Mom, little sister and the girls decided to go for a walk. I decided I needed the fresh air and it was just a walk, so I'd be fine. 


We took a walk to see Smokey the Bear and yes, he was on someone else's property, but just barely and it wasn't gated or anything. After getting up close and person with Smokey, Ailey wanted to go see the bears that were on the porch...Um, yeah we exed that idea and she was NOT happy about it. So she then threw a fit because I wouldn't and COULDN'T carry her back to the cabin. It was a long trip back to say the least.



...Relax, people. Those are play scissors...I don't think they'd even cut paper...

After we finally got back from our walk we went about making lunch and Ailey fell asleep in no time flat. I knew she was also tired. We then cleaned lunch up and visited for a bit more before we decided we'd better do the cleaning that was required to close up the cabin. I couldn't do much, but I decided that dishes were easy enough and I could handle that. 

When it was all cleaned and we were ready to close up, I tried to get some pictures of the cousins together. (We were missing 6 of them. One was on another trip, the other spends most of his time with his Mom and is only legally allowed to be in familiar places and my sisters step-kids were with their mom) I was just glad that we got a couple this time where everyone is looking forward - even if they're NOT smiling.







Remember the fort we were supposed to rebuild? Because of the rain, we didn't get to it - but Shaylyn had found the time to make a couch...



And of course, we had to have one last go on the swings...


And then it was back to the real world we were headed...



Though we got to the cabin through Wyoming, we went home the opposite way - staying in Utah. We made our way through Kamas and then Heber Canyon. It was a pretty drive, but it caused contractions for me. We were laughing and saying, at least we're closer to home now. Well, the contractions didn't really do anything and we spent the rest of the night watching Smallville. (We've been rewatching them with the kids, since they now all have a love of superheroes.)

0 People Had Something To Add:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...