Jan 9, 2008

Thoughts...

Posted by with No comments
Before I begin this post I want to preface it with this so that no one can judge my parenting skills unfairly. I know EXACTLY what I did wrong in this situation and what SHOULD'VE been done, but that is not why I am posting this story. The reason for posting this story is to get some feedback and some opinions...That being said, here is the story.
During the holiday season I ran across an ecard website where you can take pics of friends and family and put them in an animated card thing. At this point in time the cards where you could do this were cute and funny. The one I mainly did was a snowball fight and the kids thought it was hilarious! So, because I had looked at all the "Add a Face" (not what it's really called) and nothing was offensive, we let the kids have fun throughout the month putting the heads on these cards and watching them.
Yesterday I thought I would take a look at the website and see if they had added anything new with it being a new month. Sure enough there were two more cards with the option of adding faces to it. I watched one and it was like an action movie and just a bit of another one entitled "Math Camp Massacre." Should've known from the title it would be gruesome. It was a pretty gruesome card as it was based off of Horror Movies. (By the way, I am not offended with the website as it is not a website for kids and adults should have good judgement or what have you)
Anyway, I decided that the kids probably shouldn't go to the site anymore. (Tanis & Shaylyn were at school when I was looking at them and Lex was busy with a video game) I didn't think too much of it until later that night when Shaylyn and Tanis mentioned the website by name. I told them they weren't allowed to be on that website and left it at that. I was in another room (I know I should've looked at what they were doing) when next thing I know Tanis is in major tears running into my room.
I ask him what was wrong and he told me that Shaylyn had made that card on that website and it really scared him. (Good reason to keep history clean - kids can access what they want to if they can read. I should've cleared the history so they couldn't get to that website anymore.) I immediately came into the kitchen, where the laptop is, and told Shaylyn what she had done was wrong. I told them not to go to that website and then they did and what she did really scared her brother. She didn't seem bothered by the card at all! She did feel bad that she made Tanis so upset, however. I am not exactly sure what upset Tanis most about it - just the whole idea of the card or the fact that with faces added, suddenly family members were being "killed."
What I want opinions/thoughts on is this...How can one kid be so upset by something so "horrific" and it not even bother another? Tanis has always been a bit more sensitive to EVERYTHING, so maybe that's it. He is also the one who has nightmares at least once every two weeks, sometimes more. Is that all it boils down to? Or is there more to it? Just curious what everyone thinks.
And yes, the kids did understand what they did that was wrong and I talked with them last night about it and Eric had a talk with them this morning because they were in bed when he got home last night.
On a brighter note - something I just want to share - for Christmas Tanis really wanted the Star Wars Lego Complete Saga game for the XBox. We decided it would be a good "family gift" so we got it. However, the one to play it the most hasn't been Tanis or even Eric like you might think. No, the one who plays it the most is little Alexander.
He wakes up most mornings with that being the first thought on his mind. Guess he is more like his dad than I originally thought. ;) I will leave this post with pictures of him playing his favorite game. And I apologize for the messy bed and stuff - he was playing while I was straightening the house and I hadn't quite gotten to my bedroom yet.


0 People Had Something To Add:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...