Feb 8, 2013

Job Shadowing

Posted by with No comments
Sometimes I wish I was in school out in these parts. These schools seriously do such fun things that we never had the opportunity to do when we were in school.

The 7th graders this year got to Job Shadow someone of their choosing. Tanis had a few options, he could go with his dad, he could stay home with me or he could even go with Eric's mom. Eric's dad works in the same building as Eric, so we figured that was kind of a moot point.

Tanis thought about it for a few days and finally decided he'd like to go with his dad. Probably a good choice. I don't know what kind of project or chore I would've had him to do at home and grandma work dialysis, and I don't know that Tanis could've stomached her job. He's a bit like me in that way.

So on Monday he got up, dressed up like Daddy does for work and left with Eric at 6:30 in the morning. Eric takes Trax to work every day, so Tanis got to take a Trax ride and go to Eric's workplace. I have no real idea what Eric does all day besides look at code and go to meetings. Poor Tanis.

The job shadowing was only supposed to be for 4 hours, but because Eric works downtown and it was an early out day for the other kids, I just couldn't go get Tanis. Eric took a couple pictures throughout the day.


...After observing his dad for a good portion of the day, he got to watch Netflix. Heck, I'll go visit Eric at work if he'll let me use his cool headphones...


...Then it was time for meetings. My kid is just like me. I hate meetings...

Sadly this day ended up being a very long day for Tanis. Not only did he have to stay his dad's entire work day, Eric got bugged at the last minute and ended up working a half hour longer than usual. Then, because he carpools they had to make a couple stops along the way home. Tanis was so beat and tired when he walked through the door around 8:00 at night. I didn't blame the kid.

I asked him what his favorite part of the day was and his answer was: "Spending time with Dad." Awww. Such a sweet kid. I wished I had thought to take pictures of Tanis and Eric together before they left, but that was a thought I had only after Eric posted the above pictures on Facebook.

I don't think Tanis will follow in his Dad's footsteps, but I think he had fun being able to hang out with his dad and see what his dad does all day. He also got to have lunch with daddy AND grandpa. I'm sure that was just as sweet!


0 People Had Something To Add:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...