Aug 29, 2007

Back in Session...

Posted by with No comments


So, school started for Tanis on Tuesday, August 21 and Shaylyn started on Tuesday, August 28th.

Tanis is in 2nd grade and has a teacher that is new to the school. She seems really nice and almost as nervous as the kids were that first week of school. He is really enjoying his teacher and there are a few kids that were in his class last year that have the same class as him again this year. Sadly though, his "girlfriend" is in a different class. He says that he still sees her at recess though and he seems okay with that.

Shaylyn had an assessment with her teacher on the Friday before she started school. I was filling out paperwork for the teacher while she worked with Shaylyn, so I didn't catch everything that they were going over.

I did catch a few things that made me proud of my daughter, and also a few things that made me not so proud. First of all, Shaylyn had to figure out patterns. The teacher had some teddy bear erasers and made one pattern and then told Shaylyn to make a different pattern, she did so with ease. Then Shaylyn was given some story problems (I personally HATE story problems, they confuse me too easily) however, she had no problems with this. One question was an addition question saying we have x amount of boys in our class and x amount of girls in our class, how many children are in our class? Shaylyn answered correctly. Then she was asked a subtraction question - something to the effect of, if so and so has 6 apples and eats 2 apples, how many apples are left? Shaylyn quickly said 5 and then hurried and said no, 4. The teacher seemed a little surprised at how quickly she answered this question and I was a little surprised too. When the teacher then asked her how she knew that she replied, "If you have 6 and then you take away 5 and 6, you are left with 4." I think she's going to have a brain like her dad and aunt.

What didn't make me so proud of her was that she was constantly chattering to her teacher and asking questions when her teacher was trying to do the assessment. This is a "problem" we know she has and are worried about. I did tell the teacher that her constant talking is one of the things I am worried about with her. Oh well.

Shaylyn is enjoying Kindergarten and she goes from 12:45 - 3:30, which is when Tanis gets out so they walk home together. Shaylyn has made a couple new friends - both boys. (Sounds just like me when I was her age)

Lex and I are enjoying this quiet time together. He usually wants to watch a movie and so we sit on my bed and just hang out. I love having this quiet time and time to just be. It's been so relaxing.

Dance started up for Shaylyn again yesterday. She was more excited and more cooperative than she was for almost the whole of the spring session. I am not complaining though - maybe it's a sign she is growing up. We also have Tanis doing singing with this dance teacher, she does singing groups as well. Though now I am a bit worried. I just watched the DVD from the recital in the Spring and there were NO BOYS in the singing group AND they did a few dance moves. Hopefully though, because she is aware there is a boy in the group this year, she will make the proper adjustments. I am just hoping that if Tanis is the only boy, he will be okay.

In other news, I quit my job at Smith's. I just couldn't handle the unpredictability of it all. And with the kids getting homework and with the dance and singing lessons, it was just going to be too hectic. This is putting more stress on Eric, however as he is trying to find a part-time job. I feel bad about this, but he is convinced that if he can get a job at a game store he won't get that stressed. Here's to hoping...

I am also messing around with a new blog site - I am trying to figure out if I can personalize it a little easier than this current one. As of now though, I haven't figured it out so we will see.

Hope all is well with everyone!

0 People Had Something To Add:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...