Sep 20, 2015

Homecoming 2015

Posted by with No comments
Shortly after school started we told Tanis that if he wanted to go to a dance this year, he probably could. He'd just need to talk with us first and we'd go from there. Because his birthday is in the summer, he'd be missing out on every dance this year and Eric and I both felt that if Tanis really wanted to go to something he should be able to. Of course, we wanted him to be with a big group, etc. So that was that.

Shortly after that we heard that one of Tanis' friends wanted to go to Homecoming with him. She has been his friend for many years and was really looking forward to Homecoming, but wanted to go with Tanis.

She was talking to Tanis one day about it and Tanis told her they could go together. And then I heard about it. We couldn't tell the girl that he wasn't going after he had already told her they could, so we tried to have look for a group to go with. I don't know if he didn't really ask or around or what - but he never found a group.

Eric and I decided we'd just do the driving and go to dinner as well, but we'd let the kids have their own table. We'd then drive them to the dance and wait for them to decide they were done.
So the day arrived and thankfully I had thought about flowers a couple days before and begged my good friend to make the corsage and boutenniere. I felt bad as she was 10 days away from delivering a baby, but she said she didn't mind doing it.


We got ready to go and Tanis got all dressed up and we were out the door.



I could tell that he was a little bit nervous, but he did his best to contain it. We tried to tell him that he's been friends with this girl for so long and they hang out all the time, so it really didn't need to be awkward.
We went and picked the girl up and then we headed to dinner. They chose to go to Chuck A Rama for some reason, so that's where we headed. 



We asked for seperate tables and it kind of confused the hostesses, but they eventually got the idea.

They sat Eric and I in a place where I was able to kind of watch Tanis and Shaila. I wasn't watching them to be nosy, I was more curious if they'd talk to each other or kind of ignore each other the whole meal. When I saw that they were having a conversation, I relaxed and paid attention to my date.
The kids let us know when they were done eating and I just had to finish up my dessert. 

We then took the kids to the school and decided to wait in the parking lot. Eric was convinced the kids wouldn't stay at the dance very long and I told him to not be so sure of that. I wasn't sure what we were going to do for 2 hours sitting in a parking lot, but Eric had planned ahead and got the necessary equipment together so that we could watch some of our 'shows'. I was thankful to him for that and it was nice to watch shows without kids running around crazy and loud.

Tanis and Shaila spent the whole time at the dance (we should've wagered on it) and they said they had fun. They met up with some friends at the dance and had a good night. We took Shaila home and Tanis didn't walk her up to the door. We kinda failed at teaching him that. But we made sure to let him know that the next time he goes to a dance, the proper thing to do is walk her to the door.

It was kind of a hard day for me realizing my oldest is old enough to do things like this and that he really didn't have a whole lot of fear in doing so. He is a good kid and I was super proud of him and the way he handled the whole situation.


0 People Had Something To Add:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...