Aug 31, 2013

Reading and Writing and 'Rithmatic

Posted by with No comments
School started for us on August 20th, which annoyed me. I hate that school starts so early and I just wasn't ready for it to start again. I also felt bad that we didn't seem to have much of a summer because very pregnant mommy didn't feel like doing much. But, the world doesn't stop for little old me - so we had to face the facts.

Tanis has the opportunity this year to go to a brand, spanking new Jr. High/Middle School. He's still going to school with most of his friends and kids from this neighborhood, but they built a new school much closer to us! The school he attended last year was 15 minutes away, this year it's not even 5. Of course, they still get bused. YAY!!!



Shaylyn is now in 6th grade and is happy to 'Rule The School'. She got the teacher Tanis had in 6th grade and we were both happy about that. She's enjoyed the year so far and is actually doing her homework! Let's pray it keeps up throughout the year.



Lex is in 4th grade and also has a teacher Tanis had. Tanis had this particular teacher in 2nd grade, but she's moved up in the world. Lex is pleased with his teacher and comes home happy each day.






One week later, on August 27th, Nate started Kindergarten. Based on the results of his assessment, he was one child selected to do a whole day of Kindergarten. The all day Kindergarten students are the 16 who scored lowest on their assessments and with a whole day they get a little more teaching in. The kids do not have to go all day, the parents are asked if they want their child to participate or not.

Because I was at the assessment with Nate, I knew there was a high chance he'd be one that was asked to participate, so when they called a couple days later I had my decision made. It wasn't an easy decision to make and I had/have mixed emotions about the whole thing. I was super worried about him being gone all day and I worried about him being able to get his 'hot' lunch okay. I didn't know if he'd totally dread going to school because he was gone all day or what. In the end I decided it'd be good for him - even if not for the learning part - it'd be good for him to learn how to focus a bit more (that is what I really noticed as the issue during his assessment). 

He was super excited to go to school and couldn't wait to go meet his teacher. Turns out he gets 2 teachers. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. He is thrilled by this. He was anxious to go all morning on the 27th and when it was time to walk out the door, he was completely ready.







So how did the 1st day go? Well judging by the expression on his face after school was over, it had me worried...



But after talking to him, he expressed that he liked school and eating lunch in the big cafeteria. He's also been excited each morning he's had to go to school, so it hasn't been too hard on him. I do think he gets a little tired from being in school all day, but overall it's gone much better than I anticipated.

Then there's Ailey. She would love to go to school, but sadly it just isn't her time yet. She gets to spend the day with Mommy and Jace. She had trouble the first day we took Nate and as we left after dropping off Nate she said, "We can't leave Nate." She was really kind of sad to have her best friend not be around anymore. She adjusted quite well though and is loving having her own time.




0 People Had Something To Add:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...