Sep 17, 2012

It's Hangman Time!!!

Posted by with No comments
This past Wednesday the Scouts had a Pack Meeting and the theme was Careers.

On Monday Eric got roped into being one of the 'presenters'. (It's not a good thing when you have friends that are Scout leaders) Well Eric then decided to rope me into this presentation in a way as well.

Now for those of you that don't know, Eric is a computer programmer. Right now he's currently working with the State for the unemployment benefits website. He does A LOT of behind the scenes work and while most of us would think his job was super boring, it's super important to those people who are looking for work and want to get paid in the interim. Explaining all that to kids would be boring though, right? Right. So Eric went with programming a game of Hangman!

He was able to do it in a day and a half. So where do I come in? Eric had me do the graphics. Seriously? I'm really not that great of an artist, but I was happy to help my husband and when he had faith in me, I knew I had to do it. Here's the graphics I made (with a bit of help from Paintshop):




So the way Eric explained his job was that he'd show the kids the game, let them play a round and then he'd show them all the coding that went into the game. There were a few kids that really got into it.

While Eric was stuck behind a table showing off 'our' game, I got the task of keeping up with Nate & Ailey. Well before I knew Nate was gone. (I was pretty sure he went with his buddies) Lex was of course going around with his scout buddies, Shaylyn took off with her friends and Tanis had Young Men's down the hall. So I had Ailey tagging along with me.

One of the Scout leaders asked me to take her camera and start taking pictures. I happily obliged. We had some Sheriff's come and show their vehicles off and the kids had a blast with that. I took a few pictures of the Scouts outside with the cops and then noticed Lex coming out. I ran back inside to get my own camera so that I could get these pictures (it better be the ONLY time I see Lex in a cop car):



-- This lady actually lives 3 doors down...I've never really met her, but I like that she's so close and she was super, super nice! --

It was a good night all in all. Not sure that Lex really learned anything, but I think all the kids had fun. Here's a few more random pictures from the night:



-- A lady in the ward was trying to be nice and tell Ailey not to run with a sucker in her mouth - it scared Ailey... --





The hangman game was so easy a 2 year old could play it... (Of course, it worked nicely to have a touchscreen monitor handy...)





0 People Had Something To Add:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...