Jan 7, 2009

The Better Spouse

Posted by with 2 comments
So, lately I've decided that Eric is a much better husband to me than I am a wife to him. There are many reasons for this, but let me illustrate one such example for you.

Monday, Eric left for work around 7 and didn't get home until 1 in the morning. Yes, you read that right he was at work for a good 16 hours or so. (And now you are wondering why that makes him a better spouse? Keep reading...)

He came home and went straight to bed and left for work again Tuesday morning around 6. He was supposed to only work until noon, but as luck would have it - things went wrong, AGAIN, so he wasn't sure when he would be home.

He had plans to go with the Elders Quorum and some High Priests (I think) to our local Family History Center as part of his new calling, around 7. He called me at about 6:15 and told me he was running behind, but he should be home right around 7:00 and if any of the men showed up (since they were meeting at our house) to tell them to wait and he'd be right home.

At 7:00 on the dot, one of the men showed up. He's not a Brother I have really ever talked to, so we spent about 20 minutes of silence before Eric showed up. Long story short, none of the other men showed up, so at 8:00 he and this other brother just decided to forget it and the brother went home.

Now in the meantime, I told Eric that I really had to go grocery shopping and since he uses "my car" to go to work because it's safer, I am without a car. I had planned to go on Monday night, but since Eric had to work late, my plans were foiled.

So, Eric told me that he would be willing to go get the groceries for me after his night with the Elder's. But, since he didn't end up going with the Elders, we all decided to go grocery shopping together.

Keep in mind, he hadn't had much sleep the past night and he was working under very stressful circumstances at work, and he could have just told me to go and he would watch the kids. But, no. He sacrificed his night for a very boring task.

I hate when he does stuff like this because I feel I fall short. I have lots of selfish issues to work out and to be more willing to support him when he needs it. Guess I need to start following his example.

So there you have it folks - a mushy post about my life.

2 comments:

  1. You know what I love most about this post? ... That you weren't upset about Eric having to do something for his calling after having been gone all day and night the day before. That, right there, shows just how much of a wonderful wife you are. I have a few friends that have actually told other people not to mention something to their husband because then their husband would go. And, I think that because you were so willing to let Eric serve, your family was blessed with the opportunity to be together that night even when you weren't expecting it.

    You are totally not falling short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your feelings really echo mine about my husband... He never complains or gives me a dirty look when I ask him to help out with things -- and he usually offers before I even ask. I hate it when I act selfish -- or am thinking selfishly. He certainly doesn't seem to act that way. When I have days like yours, I just have to remind myself to give my husband a big hug and kiss and thank him for understanding my needs -- and then remind myself to do the same in return when he has needs that need to be met.

    You are a wonderful person, Shilo, and certainly not falling short of anything. We all have difficult days and it's hard to think past breakfast dishes...Don't be so hard on yourself, okay? And I promise to take my own advice here, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...